Contributing Member
Scott Harrison said:
Didn't you have a Florida title from a previous owner? If the car was already registered that way in another state, the DMV would have no reason to change it. The cars that have the most difficulty are those just built with only an MSO/MCO from the manufacturer of the replica and no title.
What Scott said!!
Hector, you're just smarter than me!! :uglystupid2:



I always thought I would make a good billionaire
Scott Harrison said:
Didn't you have a Florida title from a previous owner? If the car was already registered that way in another state, the DMV would have no reason to change it. The cars that have the most difficulty are those just built with only an MSO/MCO from the manufacturer of the replica and no title.
Tell that to the knuckle head in New Jersey who backed out of the deal to buy mine because he wanted one with a 1966 title what I HAVE! Just no balls. :knuppel2:

Thanks for the research and information. I hope to do the process by next spring. O0


Thanks Scott. Your info is great to get and I'm printing it to take to DMV and to inspection.

Great experience for my first post.

Thanks again,
SNAKEDOC (Alex Howell)
It wouldn't threaten a clearance unless there was other derogatory information to push a negative adjudication decision. At the NRC, we have to report any traffic violation of $150 or more but it typically just goes into the person's file. Now if it was a DUI and there was treatment associated with it that would make it cross into another category.


Guys, Joe Edwards daughter and I joined you for breakfast last fall...came over in the red Ferrari 360. I had a question for the group. As I'm getting close the pulling the trigger on the Kirkham, I've been checking into the titling/registration/tax situation. I contacted Loudoun County this week and asked them how they would tax a replica of a 1965 car.

They told me they would tax it like it was a '65, which would mean something like a $50 or $100 dollar tax bill each year.

I was wondering if there any members in Loudoun, but if not, what kind of VA tax treatment you are receiving with replica titles. Thank you for the info!

Joe Edwards


I can't speak for other counties in VA but here in Hanover county my cobra replica was taxed the first year based on the purchase price. Over the 2 years since, the "value" of the care has decreased about 15% per year and is taxed accordingly. I could only wish for a $50 to $100 personal property tax bill for the car..... :(

Almost forgot......The car is titled as a 1965.


Thanks, Don. I guess I'll eventually find out. When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Scott Harrison

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"
Staff member
Contributing Member
Loudoun County uses publications from The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) as the primary valuation guides for personal property assessment purposes, as do all 134 cities and counties in Virginia. In arriving at the used vehicle values published in its valuation guides, NADA collects and analyzes over half a million auto-related transactions per month, including both wholesale and retail sales. NADA collects its data from a number of sources, including automobile manufacturers, new and used vehicle dealers and over 165 automobile auctions nationwide. Additionally, NADA considers economic trends, geographic location, weather and environmental factors in the analysis of its automobile valuation data.
The NADA guide does not show Kirkham and many other Cobra manufacturers (except Shelby:, so I don't know how they will assess it's value other than the amount you report when you register it and pay the sales tax. That may establish the first year value and they may depreciate it from there.

Scott Harrison

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"
Staff member
Contributing Member
From the VA DMV WEB site:

Titling a Reconstructed, Specially Constructed, or Replica Vehicle

Every person who owns a reconstructed vehicle, specially constructed vehicle, or replica vehicle must obtain a certificate of title and registration for the vehicle before it is operated on any highway. All liens held against the vehicle must be shown on the Virginia title.

Reconstructed Vehicle
Any vehicle that has been materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition, or substitution of new or used essential parts. (VA Code ? 46.2-100)

Specially Constructed Vehicle
Any vehicle that was not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model, or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles and which would not be otherwise defined as a reconstructed vehicle. (VA Code ? 46.2-100) For example, a vehicle constructed using a Mercury frame and a Chevrolet body.

Replica Vehicle
Any vehicle not fully constructed by a licensed manufacturer, but either constructed or assembled from components. Such components may be from a single vehicle, multiple vehicles, a kit, parts, or fabricated components. The kit may be made up of major components, a full body, or a full chassis, or a combination of these parts. The vehicle must resemble a vehicle of distinctive name, line-make, model, or type as produced by a licensed manufacturer or manufacturer no longer in business and is not a reconstructed or specially constructed vehicle. (VA Code ? 46.2-100)

Major Components
Any one of the following subassemblies of a motor vehicle: (i) front clip assembly, consisting of the fenders, grille, hood, bumper, and related parts; (ii) engine; (iii) transmission; (iv) rear clip assembly, consisting of the quarter panels, floor panels, trunk lid, bumper, and related parts; (v) frame; (vi) air bags; and (vii) any door that displays a vehicle identification number. (VA Code ? 46.2-1600)

How to Apply

Follow these steps when applying for a title for a reconstructed, specially constructed or replica vehicle.

Submit the following completed forms:
Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VSA 22), if required NOTE: Vehicles such as reconstructed or specially constructed motor vehicles may have existing vehicle identification numbers (VINs) that are no longer appropriate because the vehicle has been fundamentally altered to be an entirely different vehicle for titling purposes. In order to title these types of vehicles, DMV will assign vehicle identification numbers. If the vehicle is a replica built on a manufactured chassis or a chassis from another vehicle, a VIN usually will not have to be assigned by DMV because the Manufacturer's Certificate (or Statement) of Origin (MCO or MSO) will provide an acceptable VIN for the vehicle. A replica vehicle built on the chassis from another vehicle may use the VIN from the existing chassis, as long as the new vehicle is a replica of the vehicle from which the chassis came. However, DMV must assign a VIN to any replica vehicle that otherwise does not have one, or if the replica does not appear to be the vehicle from which the chassis came. Any vehicle owner seeking an assignment of VIN from DMV must establish ownership of the vehicle by submitting all titles or other ownership documents for any parts acquired for use in constructing the vehicle. Each type of vehicle has certain components that must be accounted for with a bill of sale, title, certificate of origin and/or a notarized affidavit. These documents must show any identification numbers, sale price, and be properly assigned to the applicant. Any vehicle, for which an application for a VIN has been made, will be subject to inspection by DMV ("VIN inspection"). In addition, all reconstructed, specially constructed, and replica vehicles must be inspected by DMV's Law Enforcement Services prior to titling, even if the vehicle has an existing, useable VIN. DMV charges a fee for the inspection, verification, or identification of the serial number or VIN of any vehicle.
Application for Certificate of Title and Registration (VSA 17A)
Credit Card Charge Authorization (FMS 99), if applicable
Submit proof of address
Submit properly assigned ownership documents or bills of sale for the following:
Engine and Drive Train (component parts consisting of engine, transmission and rear axle)
MCO or MSO for cab/glider kit, if applicable (A glider kit is a new cab and front axle used to replace a wrecked or retired cab and front axle. Motor vehicle sales and use tax is not required; however, you must provide proof that you paid retail tax.)
For replica vehicle, MCO or MSO of the chassis, if specially manufactured or the title for the chassis if it came from another vehicle
NOTE: For motorcycles, submit properly assigned ownership documents or bills of sale for the following:
Transmission, if applicable
Front-end assembly
Submit the following documents:
A detailed notarized statement stating how the vehicle was constructed
Multiple pictures of the completed vehicle (You must show at least the front and side of the vehicle.)
Submit the following fees:
$5 VIN Plate Fee, if applicable
$125 Inspection Fee
$10 Title Fee
3% Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax NOTE: If the vehicle weighs 26,001 pounds or more, you are exempt from paying sales and use tax. If you paid retail sales tax on any parts at the time of purchase and you are providing proof of payment, no motor vehicle sales and use tax is required.
Registration Fee, if applicable NOTE: In order to operate your vehicle on Virginia highways, the vehicle must pass a state motor vehicle safety inspection. You must pay the local vehicle registration fee to the locality and display the local sticker or decal on the windshield, if applicable.
Submit all documents and fees to:
Mailing Address
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Vehicle Branding Work Center
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269
Physical Address
2300 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23269

NOTE: The estimated turnaround time for this process is 3 weeks, if you submit all required documentation. You must completely assemble the vehicle prior to submitting your original paperwork to DMV for processing. A DMV Investigator will contact you to schedule an appointment to inspect the vehicle and install the VIN plate, if applicable.
Additional Information

Please note the following:

Replica vehicles may not be driven more than 5,000 miles each year (VA Code ? 46.2-602.1).
A state inspection must be performed on the vehicle and the state inspection sticker must be displayed on the windshield, if applicable.
The locality sticker/decal must be displayed on the windshield, if applicable. NOTE: Some localities do not require the display of a sticker/decal on a vehicle; however, payment of the local registration fee is still required. Check with the appropriate locality for requirements.

Brian John

Contributing Member
picross said:
I have an already titled Backdraft, with antique tags. I got the same letter as everyone else requiring certification of another car (which I have), but was wondering if antique tags are the best option still. I am mostly concerned with the restriction stated in the letter that antique vehicles are to be driven only to shows and for testing purposes, but not to work, etc. It lists those as a misdemeanor offense. I do drive my car to work sometimes, and otherwise drive it fairly frequently. Since i have a security clearance i'd rather not take a chance on getting a "ticket" that turns out to be a misdemeanor offense.

Has anyone changed from antique tags to a replica title? what are the downsides? i know you have to get an inspection - how hard is that?
My car is registered as a 1966, I have standard plates which means no restrictions (well I stll can't speed or run stop signs). Hit Ebay and buy plates from the year your car is registered.

I bought 1966 brand new VA Plates still in the original DMV envelope for $45.00